My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Videos (part II) from the Outer Banks trip

I went on this trip primarily to test the Nitto Terra Grapplers on sand. The scenery and the company proved to be great. In the previous post, it turned out we had another opportunity to test them in water crossing as we ambled over unknown, submerged, obstacles.

I felt pretty confident in the sand. One thing I experienced more of on this trip than I recalled in Moab was my ABLS slip response engaging periodically if I was traveling above 25mph or powering through a particular thick area of sand. I experimented with disengaging VDC (vehicle dynamic control) which appeared to deactivate the anti-lock brake response during periods of wheel slipping.

These couple of videos show us ambling along the coast line. I think I may need to schedule one more opportunity on the sand when there hasn't been any precipitation in a while to see how the tires handle in very loose sand. I would say the sand was moderately loose in some areas (obviously packed closer to the shore line or where multiple vehicles had already traversed). I did periodically seek out areas which seemed to be looser. Probably the best area with the deepest sand was surprisingly at the entrance to the beach. However, if I did manage to get myself stuck, I didn't want to create a nuisance to other patrons seeking to access or depart from the beach. I therefore just drove like I had some sense to make sure I didn't have a mishap there. Anywhere else though, I had no issue with starting or stopping the vehicle. When I was ready to go, we moved without hesitation or any perceived effort or straining. I aired down to 20 psi which seemed to be a good range for these tires..  Here is the balance of the footage we got this weekend.


Please just mute my commentary. I clearly don't know what to say when on camera.


We did encounter nature, but we were mindful to stay the appropriate distance so as not to disturb or stress these animals. They'll walk right past your vehicle completely oblivious to your presence.


Just my truck going over the sand when we were coming back from the water crossings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will