My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Monday, August 12, 2013

Toronto Carnival and Brewery Tours- International Edition

Well, I drove to Canada two weekends ago on a whim. I've got some friends whose ancestry originates from some Caribbean nations. They were going; I didn't have anything else to do. I like driving. I have a blog. That pretty much sums it up.

So since I jumped on the bandwagon too late to actually obtain a costume and be a performer with one of the Mas Bands, I figured I'd come observe the preparation and then go get lost for a while with some other activities. That other activity was Beer. And then there was a Soca concert later on. I went to that too, but I didn't bring a camera. Sorry. Without further adieu:

 I don't think I previously had a picture of the New York crossing. Even if I did, it wasn't from this road. Except now, it has been so long that I don't recall what road this was that I took. I need to do more timely updates. I.  checked just now, and I did not take the most direct of routes. I learned on this trip that a GPS is not necessarily a key to the world. You have to buy/download maps. My GPS didn't have a map for Canada. So I mapped a route to Buffalo and assumed I would buy a new GPS there with a Canada map. When it appeared I would not make Buffalo by 9pm, I rerouted towards Erie, PA to catch a Best Buy there. So I ended up crossing PA and then heading Northeast towards Buffalo

 The new GPS actually displays icons of nearby attractions right on the map. I owed the wife a new GPS, but I think she'll get my newly updated original and I'll keep this one. She doesn't drive more than an hour at a clip anyway. Daddy needs this. I actually researched means of adding more maps to a single GPS. My old one only had enough memory capacity for one map. I want to ultimately add maps for Mexico, (Canada is now on the new GPS) and South America for another concept I am working on.
 Crossing into Canada. It got rainy like 5 minutes from the border.
 


 Canada road signs. They're in a foreign language or something.
 I went to get gas just across the border. Canada gas stations won't let you do debit at the pump. You have to come in and sign. They also will pretty much take US dollars at about the same rate. I got some Canada cash at the ATM.
 This is the street the next morning. I slept next to the hotel my friends were staying at. I got into town at about 130am. It was just enough time to hit one bar and have one beer. I was so mad and so thirsty. People looked at me like I was some crazy booze hound as I walked the strip asking if it was last call  yet.
 It turns out, I was parked on my own street.
 I like to find signs that say where I am.
 I took an economy bath in the cab of my truck. I used disinfectant wipes and brushed my teeth on the side of the road. I actually had found a parking space pretty close to the Caribana route despite the numerous street closures. However, I opted to park on a lot as I had already managed to get a parking ticket within my first 4 hours in the country. I was right there asleep and they ticketed me. I thought maybe they would prevent me from crossing the border to come home, but I don't think they are quite that linked in. I do wonder about international extradition between the US and Canada. Can they really come after me?

 Yes. I still use a digital camera and employ the self-timer. I'm a dinosaur. An American dinosaur.
 His shirt is on backwards, but it is supposed to convey something about not killing Black people because our lives are important too. Respect.
 I posted up and took pictures of the band participants as they arrived. There was actual Carnival Paparazzi that would jump out and mob the people in costume. Then there were also creepy old men who would swarm; however, their camera focus tended to be a bit suspect. I didn't want to fall into either category. My photos are more of the wide angle variety from a ways back.


 These are my friends. I thought I was going to miss them. And that would have sucked after so many hours of driving. But I did eventually find them. International calling rates applied and NO ONE was trying to use their phones to actually place or take a call. Text messages galore though.
 It was a long winter. I don't think Canada was ready for me to take my shirt off yet.


 Erica is the craziest of my friends, I feel.





 This was probably the most ornate float there.
 This was the most technically impressive. They have their own GenSet mounted on a tractor trailer. You win, sirs. You win.



 I got a little more bold with the last two shots.
 And for the beer. I went first to Steamwhistle brewery. They make one lager and it is good. They were started by 3 guys who were downsized from another brewery before it ultimately was shuttered. They almost named their new enterprise "Three Fired Guys". Fortunately someone steered them away from that and along with serendipity which landed them in their current digs, the rail-themed Steamwhistle brand was born.
 Our tour guide had a cute accent. Imagine a cute Canadian girl talking about beer. Yup, that's the sound. that huge bottle behind her is a fridge which has a 500 bottle capacity. Want. Now. She shared beers from there.
 Lovely day for a brew.
 Again with the self-timer. Parking here was a bit tough. You will not find street parking. Suck it up and park in the garage. If you stay just for the tour and a souvenir, it'll be about $4 Canadian. Not bad.
 On to Amsterdam Brewery. Small lot, but not a ton of people on a Saturday.
 There were a couple of guys who weren't even there for the tour. But they don't do bar sales, only bottle sales for carry out. So they 'signed up for a tour' which they never took so they could just drink the samples. Well played, Canadians. Well played.

 Self timer at the bar after the tour.

 Finally to Great Lakes Brewery. There wasn't actually a tour, just a retail location. You are welcome to show yourself around the upstairs offices though. Not really, but they are along the way to the restroom and I needed a few trips.
 There were four on tap that you can sample. They weren't really set up for samples. The young lady was trying to do inventory and complete bottle sales. When I offered her gratuity as I purchased a hat, she was like "Wait, what's happening?" I stated I was giving her a tip. She replied, "That has never happened," and then proceeded to ask how else she could be of service. At the time, I think there was maybe one more I hadn't sampled; so, she set me up with that and loaded me up with some free stickers. Yes. That's what I really wanted. Stickers and merch. A little good consumership goes a long way. And yes, I made up that word. Consumership is being rejected by the spell check. Consume it.
 Taking pictures of my truck, because that's normal to do.

 Pretty cool that they have their own custom hearse associated with one of their brews.
 


 On the way back, I stopped at Niagara Falls. I didn't on the way up as it was dark. And I almost neglected to check it out on the way back. There was another car that drove onto this part. It is definitely a pedestrian walkway, but I decided this could be my one, obnoxious American moment.

 Self-timer is a must when travelling alone.


 Some signs and such from right before the falls.
 Some of the scenery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will