My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY Sliders

I'm so behind on updating. There are maybe 3 people who will notice when this is updated.

There will be three posts in...hopefully...quick succession.
 I first picked up the metal for these bad boys in mid-April. I think the date on this was 4/18/13.
 I picked up the pipe bender previously, but th is was the first day that I actually opened it up. I think I had already started a DIY build page but just hadn't built anything.
 When I came across some spare time, I would do small mini-fabrication efforts. Cut the rails down to size. Another day, I cut and bent what were originally going to be outrigger hoops to extend up at an angle off from the rails. As I started to feel how heavy these things were getting (and realizing my still novice abilities might result in some gnarly looking sliders...in a bad way), I decided to keep with the more simple concept of rock rails sans outrigger hoops.

 I fabbed up my own brackets to be through-bolted via existing holes in the frame. Here they are free supported prior to painting.

 The driver side was tough because there is minimal clearance between the frame and the gas tank. I know some guys, for various mods, will drop their gas tanks for better access. I just spent a LOT of time noodling a concept instead and it appears to hold. Need to put it on some rocks and see how well.
 Painting them up.
 "Final" product.
 Yeah, I took off the Zombie decals. The truck had gotten to be pretty conspicuous. My wife reminds me that the snorkel and antenna are not exactly subtle either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will