My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Monday, September 3, 2012

I've been busy...


Usually when a guy 'has been busy' it means that things have kept them largely away from whatever their particular past time is. I've been doing my best to tackle a bit of both: those things which keeps one busy and then those pleasant diversions that offer an escape from the hustle and bustle.

The difficulty with working on my various build pursuits is that this truck also is my daily driver which means I can ill afford a mishap or incomplete installation which would prevent usage of the vehicle for mundane activities such as grocery shopping or, you know, going to work.

Well, in the photo above, I've got the winch installed (although still not 'hidden' as I need to devise a custom means of mounting the bumper shroud), the 2" body lift (above and beyond the 2" suspension lift), and the snorkel.

I'll set up build pages for the two new items to cover them in greater depth. I had hoped to take the long holiday weekend to finalize my various build threads, but my wife also eyed this weekend as a good opportunity to visit her folks who recently relocated back to North Carolina. That isn't a bad thing. The whole spirit of this blog is about getting out on the road. The problem that I encountered was that I didn't have enough time to finish the work begun on Friday in time to iron out a few of the kinks encountered before our departure time on Saturday. It was very nerve-wracking not having my truck with us on the trip. Sure, people road trip with lesser-equipped vehicles all the time. Unfortunately, my mind has been fixated on a series of contingency-planning exercises; so, just getting into another vehicle with only modest capability takes a bit of woo-sahing to get back to my prior nonchalant way of life.

We had a good time. It rained, but there were no floods. X on the need for a snorkel. The house wasn't as remote as we had assumed. X on the need for a solid rear axle and 4WD; my wife's selectable AWD and all around independent suspension was sufficient for the highway driving. Our initial route was available and not snarled by traffic. X on the need for the CB radio to communicate with truckers to find alternate routes. It was fine. I enjoyed my wife's company and it was no big deal. But if we travel anywhere further than 4 hours away from home, the truck IS coming :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will