My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On the road again!



 From the leaves in the background, you can tell this is going to be one of those "Fall Foliage trips". We're headed out to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon via a southerly route that will take us through Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, and Arizona. On the return leg, we'll pass through New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and I might need a map to report on the balance of states. The itinerary is less well formed as there isn't a specific event at the midway point as there was with GONE Moab that I was trying to make. So we'll just play it by ear.
 Jenn with the Hokie bird in the Virginia Tech bookstore. We made a brief stop in Blacksburg.
 Introduced Jenn to the new tradition of jumping out of the truck and getting ourselves in the frame of the shot of the Welcome signs. Unfortunately, when we crossed into Alabama it was about 10pm and pitch black. The photo opp was further complicated by some construction efforts that had partially occupied the shoulder and we had a big rig barreling down on us from about a half mile back. It wasn't worth the potential calamity.


 Although it looks to be late in this photo, it was only about 6pm. We'll have to rethink another fall trip as this was usually prime visiting time during the summer road trip. Just missed making it in to the bookstore. No tchochkies for us.
 The cool thing about the University of Tennessee campus is that, if you've made anything of yourself, they name a street or a building after you. We passed Chamique Holdsclaw lane near one of the stadiums. Then noticed this gem on the way to get a shot of Jenn in front of the stadium gates.
 While we were parking a guy asked Jenn about the Zombie Response Team. She doesn't ride with me often enough to have one of the 'responses' lined up and ready to deliver; so, she just deferred to me.
 This is the restaurant that Jenn found online during the drive. At first it seemed sketchy because it was a bit off of the beaten path and on a road without any other attractions or amenities. Turned out to be a diamond in the rough with a live band and very hospitable hosts and wait staff. Meo Mio's. It was Nawlins themed (New Orleans).
 The truck wanted to pose as well.
I probably should have posted this up where Jenn and I posed. This is the back of the rig. I spent the first 60 miles of the trip nervously checking the rear view mirror every 15 seconds to make sure the damned thing hadn't fallen off. It seems to be holding fine for now. All told, it is VERY heavy. The bumper setup itself has to be about 200 lbs. Then about 80 or so for the two tanks and another 40-50 for the tire. I have one extra set of add-a-leaf springs. If I keep these on, I'm thinking I'd like for Santa to bring me one more set to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will