My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Saturday, November 16, 2013

New Front and Rear: Birth of the Landshark







I wasn't really sure what that term meant. I had to look it up and make sure there weren't any unintended connotations. I'll do a proper build thread on it. For now here are some quick highlights.

When I first even learned what a Pre-Runner was, I was not at all interested in that bumper style. I actually very much liked my stock chrome bumper. As time progressed though, I realized it was more so in my way than doing anything for me. I really wanted to have a stinger hoop, but I couldn't, without further modifications to the chrome bumper, appropriately anchor anything back towards the frame or the winch brackets. I also realized I would have the opportunity to expose more of the front tires and possibly clear larger tires without having to worry about encroaching on the bumper. That kinda led to the slow march towards ultimately removing the front bumper shroud.


 The rear winch was something I was always interested in. I was really just interested in having one winch and two potential hookups. I may have still been content to just run one, except that I knew I was going to invest significant time in constructing a new front end. And as I've stated before, the old T-max winch had lost the ability to free spool. I was to work on the front bumper on this particular day, but my wife made dinner plans with friends, which meant I now had dinner plans which were conflicting with my build plans. I figured I could pretty quickly work up something to move the winch to the back. I knocked this out in a few hours. I was actually a bit sad to lose the rear bumper. It wasn't quite the same after the body lift. I liked the stickers that I had, but I can just order replacements I suppose.
 When I finish the build thread, I'll have to come back here and try to insert a link here. The Build Thread I did a test drive with the newly installed stinger bar. Then I pulled back into the garage to position the rear end to receive its new accent piece as well. I just welded this cross bar and the Bite-Back teeth onto the stock bumper mounting brackets. The teeth also serve as an additional standing surface. I haven't tested them yet though as tonight was rather humid and the paint wasn't drying as quickly as it has on prior nights. It was still tacky.

 My wife actually paid the bumper a bit of a compliment. It is not quite as obnoxious as she thought it was going to be. I was intentionally going for obnoxious. There's no reason for a stinger this size. I just got it because I could. Although I have no desire to strike a deer, my hope is that the large hoop will help to deflect the carcass downward and under the vehicle as opposed to up and into the passenger compartment.

The teeth in the rear are obviously for Double-Tapping zombies. Hit them with the zombie plow in the front. Then back over them again for good measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will