My Girl: Gettin' After It!!

My Girl: Gettin' After It!!
My truck on her maiden voyage in Moab 2012

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This is like NASA...

So, some things have happened. This whole experience has been like the space race. I've studied some of the early years of NASA through the context of project and risk management. Cross country road trips have been done before; so, the idea of crossing the continent is not so novel. The challenge has been that, once you arrive at the destination, there are a specific set of skills and functionality that are needed, and then there is the return trip. That is very much akin to a shuttle mission. The issue of thrust and calculating escape velocity in and of itself is not the greatest challenge of a shuttle flight (it is the riskiest though). Obviously the lighter the craft is, the easier it is to propel it hurtling through space. The problem is all of the additional system components, cargo, and mission equipment that do not contribute directly to the act of liftoff, but are nonetheless integral to the whole point of leaving the earth in the first place.

So for this trip, obviously lighter is better for fuel economy. But the trip in and of itself isn't the whole goal. The idea is that, once I get there, I need to be ready to take this thing off road...and to respond to any repairs or service needs that arise. Winches, high lift jacks, hand tools, shovel, water, fuel, spare parts all contribute significant utility but also weight to a vehicle that isn't the most thrifty to operate.

I need to put pics and writeups on here. I have the pics and the words; the time has been scarce. I shifted to another division in my company and have new hours and responsibilities. Boo hoo, I know. I just wasn't expecting it, is all.

Quick updates though. I tried and failed at installing the lift. Not that the undertaking was particularly difficult; it's really a bolt-on application. But you MUST MUST MUST have the tools for the job. I went out and got an electric impact wrench, but it still wasn't enough to overcome the inertia (not really the term...more like #$^%^W@R Stubbornness) of the lower shock mount bolts. Pneumatics were the difference maker, and not even the first pneumatic impact wrench the shop used would budge it. They had to upsize to the granddaddy and even that one ended up nearly destroying the nut in the process of removing it. It did inspire me to in the very near future (funds providing) upgrading my own little modest garage to include a pneumatic setup. So yeah, I bit the bullet and took it to a local shop to have the lift kit installed.

AutoAnything came through with the Yellow Top Optima, and I went ahead and finished that swap. I'll post photos in another day or so. I started trying to work on my DIY skids. I'm trying to repurpose some salvaged truck body shelving gauge sheet metal into skids. It's slow going. They're still pretty durable (good), but their durability also makes them a bit tough to reshape. I do like that, if it pans out, they'll be significantly lighter and will at least help deflect more serious damage or alert me that I'm in a bit too deep into the fray.

Also, I've been driving around with the completed roof cargo basket. I have not yet set the spare tire up there. The job I got switched to is at the end of a road presently under development. It's actually pretty good approximation of the terrain I'll encounter. I may just throw the tire up there and see how the basket holds up under load. So far, it has done great at highway speeds. No sign of loosening, and only a bit of a muted 'howl' above 70mph from airflow. Not nearly a nuisance at all.

Time to skype the wife. I'll follow up with more details in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Let me know what you thought of the post or how you came to stumble on this little corner of what we call, "the interwebs". Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
-will